Once upon a time I moved into a house that hadn’t been updated since 1972. Oh, except for that little TV from 1993. Here is the story of the ever evolving office/guest room. It was painted my riskiest color- Bamboo. And it is my favorite. Nothing better than painting white walls!
As you can see from the before and after, the first thing I did was some quick and thrifty things to bring it up to date- trundle bed from Craig’s list, desk from SpringHill (formerly Ikea) and my own mac screen and bookshelves left over from Chicago.
Since fall is the season of change, I’ve changed the look of my office by doing the following completely free things:
- Turned the bed and added a blue pillow to the mix.
- Hung dry-erase boards on the antique ladder and positioned it near my desk.
- Tied back the curtains with binder clips. 🙂
- Took the top off the Ikea desk (it was hindering my creativity) and moved the desk to the corner window.
- Brought in a smaller, blue shag rug that was in my basement and placed it on a diagonal.
- Turned my bookshelf on it’s side and stacked books vertically.
- Hung a national geographic map for artwork.
And here are not so free, but real cheap additions. I love the color added by these Ikea holders (already had the artwork of the SpringHill landscape) and this new filing system (I’m totally sold on the “Getting Things Done” book).
I think I’m going to go look for more bookcases to turn on their sides….